By Darryl John Esguerra

Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla (PNA file photo by Yancy Lim)

MANILA – Malacañang on Monday said President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. has not lost trust in Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla despite mounting criticism over recent controversies linked to law enforcement operations and the failed arrest of Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa and fugitive former lawmaker Zaldy Co.

Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the President continues to maintain confidence in Remulla, dismissing speculation that the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) chief may soon be replaced.

“Wala naman po akong nakitaan na natanggal ang tiwala ng Pangulo kay Secretary Jonvic Remulla sa ngayon (I have not seen anything that has caused the President to lose confidence in Secretary Jonvic Remulla so far),” Castro said during a Palace press briefing.

Castro made the statement when asked about growing calls to replace Remulla following the shooting incident at the Senate that led to the reported escape of dela Rosa, who is facing a warrant of arrest from the International Criminal Court (ICC).

Remulla is also facing backlash for conflicting information regarding Co, who is implicated in the flood control scandal.

Castro also denied reports circulating online that former Interior secretary Benhur Abalos or former senator Antonio Trillanes IV were being considered as possible replacements for Remulla.

“Wala pa pong ganoong ibinibigay sa ating mga impormasyon (I have not received any information like that),” Castro said.

Meanwhile, the DILG clarified that its actions regarding dela Rosa were “never rooted in unwillingness to enforce the law.”

The DILG cited Section 17 of Republic Act 9851, which provides that when the International Criminal Court (ICC) issues a warrant involving alleged crimes against humanity committed in the Philippines, the government may either surrender the individual to the ICC or pursue prosecution before local courts.

“In Senator dela Rosa’s case, while an ICC warrant had been issued, President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. earlier directed concerned government agencies, including the DILG and the Philippine National Police (PNP), to await the Supreme Court’s resolution on the enforceability of the ICC warrant absent a corresponding order from a Philippine court,” the department said.

The DILG also noted that acting Justice Secretary Fredderick Vida earlier clarified that there was “no order for manhunt,” and that any enforcement action remained “conditional” due to pending proceedings before the Supreme Court and the Senate’s decision to place dela Rosa under protective custody.

“These are not acts of inaction, but adherence to constitutional order, due process, and the rule of law,” the DILG said. (With a report from Christopher Lloyd Caliwan/PNA)