VP Robredo: 200,000 jobs at stake if EU pushes trade sanctions vs PH over human rights issues

Monday, September 21st, 2020. Filed under: News World News

MANILA, Sept 21 (Mabuhay)– Over 200,000 Filipinos could lose their jobs if the government fails to meet the standards set by the European Union amid its calls to step up efforts in tackling human rights abuses in the country, Vice President Leni Robredo said Sunday.

Citing data from the European Chamber of Commerce in the Philippines, Robredo said that the Philippines’ trade benefits under the Generalised Scheme of Preferences Plus (GSP+) program may lead to losses of up to 200,000 jobs related to exports to the 27 EU-member states.

She added that the Philippine government should focus its efforts on proving to the EU it did not commit any wrongdoing, instead of daring the international body to push through with its trade sanctions.

“Kapag tinanggal ito, ibig sabihin 200,000 jobs ang mawawala sa atin. Kapag tinanggal ito, about ₱108.9 billion in exports iyong mawawala sa atin kasi sisingilin na ng tax, na dati hindi naman sinisingil.” Robredo said in her weekly radio show.

With the Philippines’ GSP+ status, no tariff can be imposed on more than 6,200 Filipino products exported to Europe.

The Philippines previously said that it has been working with its United Nations Resident Coordinator for human rights cooperation, amid the threat of trade sanctions from the European Union over alleged killings and abuses in the country.

In a statement on Friday, the Philippine Mission to the United Nations in Geneva said consultations “have been going on for months” on a framework that will allow the UN “to support national efforts to uphold the human rights-based approach in governance.”

Among the agencies involved are the Department of Foreign Affairs and Department of Justice, which leads the inter-agency panel investigating the 5,655 anti-drug operations that resulted in deaths.

“The UN Joint Program will support the Philippine Government’s efforts to continue strengthening its domestic mechanisms and processes on accountability and rule of law,” the DFA said in a separate statement.

The government expects discussions to reach a conclusion by year-end, Ambassador Evan Garcia, Permanent Representative to the UN told High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet in a briefing. The Philippine National Police and other agencies also sent proposals for the multi-year joint program.

There’s also an invitation for Bachelet’s office to support national programs on accountability mechanisms and the monitoring and implementation of the country’s human rights obligations.

Statements on the planned joint program on human rights came a day after the EU Parliament adopted a resolution seeking an end to drug-war killings and other human rights violations in the Philippines and pushing for immediate trade sanctions “in the absence of any substantial improvement and willingness to cooperate” on the part of local authorities.

Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez said they are now coordinating with the EU Commission, the main institution implementing the GSP+ program. Lopez believes there’s no reason for the privilege to be withdrawn, saying officials are “able to explain objectively” the Philippines’ side on several issues.

Last week, the UN Human Rights Council’s 45th session opened with Bachelet expressing concern about the abuses across several countries, including the drug-related killings in the Philippines amid the COVID-19 pandemic. She called for an end to the policies and rhetoric that were said to have led to killings and human rights violations.

Bachelet said her office is seeking details from the Philippine government “so we can advise and assess” the scope, process, and efficacy of the panel reviewing these cases.

In response, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the country already has domestic institutions to promote accountability and assist “those who claim to be victims of human rights violations.”

Latest government data show 5,810 people were killed in anti-drug operations since the campaign began in July 2016. Local and international human rights groups say President Rodrigo Duterte’s public pronouncements against drug suspects have resulted in thousands more extrajudicial killings, a claim Malacañang has repeatedly denied.(MNS)

ALSO READ: EU Parliament wants to strike down Philippines’ zero-tariff export status

Related posts

UK allots P63-M aid for typhoon victims in PH, VietnamPH can’t test all Typhoon Rolly evacuees for COVID, but precautions in place — DOHDuterte invokes arbitral ruling vs. China in first UN speechPhilippines impounds North Korean freighter based on latest resolution of United Nations  World already reaping benefits from ozone treaty: studyUS, PHL marines hold drills on flashpoint South China Sea Consul General Leo M. Herrera-Lim as Incoming Consul General in Los AngelesStatement of the DFA on the release of the 21 Filipino UN Peacekeepers in SyriaEU commits €150M new grants to Philippines — DOFVP Robredo, staff test negative for COVID-19Robredo says has no COVID symptoms, yet to see test resultsVP Robredo in quarantine after exposure to COVID-19 caseDFA advises Filipinos to postpone trip to IraqPhilippines can rally ‘overwhelming majority’ vs China before UN — CarpioDuterte to address UN for the first time since taking officeEU Parliament wants to strike down Philippines’ zero-tariff export statusPemberton deported, ‘perpetually’ banned from reentering PHPreps for Pemberton’s deportation underway — BICOVID vaccine in exchange for Pemberton? DOH says no such condition set by US manufacturersPemberton receives release papers