MANILA, Sept 12 (Mabuhay) — Senator Grace Poe filed a resolution on Monday urging the Committee on Public Order and Dangerous Drugs to launch an inquiry on abduction cases in Luzon, including Metro Manila.

PROTECTION. Parents and students feel safer with police presence at Delfin Geraldez Elementary School in Novaliches, Quezon City on Monday (Sept. 12, 2022). The Quezon City Police District said they will protect the rights of students to a peaceful and stress-free learning environment. (MNS photo)

Even a single case of abduction is already alarming and threatens people’s safety, according to Poe.

The resolution cited the kidnap-slay of pharmaceutical executive Eduardo Tolosa Jr., who was reportedly burned for three days by his abductors.

Five suspects have surrendered.

Poe also cited the circulating traffic video titled “Kidnapping sa Skyway Galing Airport” (Kidnapping at Skyway coming from the airport), where unidentified men from three vehicles were seen surrounding and trying to open a white vehicle.

The Philippine National Police Anti-Kidnapping Group (PNP-AKG) reported that they have recorded 27 cases from January to September, with 15 related to offshore gambling operations, 11 kidnap-for-ransom cases, and one casino-related.

Lugene Ang, president of the Filipino Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry Inc. (FCCCII), previously reported that they recorded 56 kidnapping incidents involving Filipino and Chinese nationals, including children, within 10 days.

Recently, committee chair Senator Ronald Dela Rosa told reporters that the brains behind the series of abductions may be testing the administration of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.

“Feeling invincible again sila (them) with the exit of President [Rodrigo] Duterte from Malacañang,” the former PNP chief said. “I am very much alarmed. Dapat kikilos ang PNP dito ng mabilis para maaksyunan at makakita ng (PNP should swiftly make a move so it will be addressed and we can find) results.”

Dela Rosa will wait for the referral of Poe’s resolution before opening an inquiry.

Apart from Poe and Dela Rosa, Senators Ramon Revilla, Jr. and Imee Marcos also expressed alarm over incidents of missing young women.

Revilla had already sent a letter to the PNP urging a more thorough probe while Marcos asked the police and National Bureau of Investigation to file cases.

“Lalo na ang mga kabataang babae na ginahasa na, brutal pang pinatay. Dapat wala silang sasantuhin (Especially the young women who were not only raped, but also brutally killed. No exemptions),” Marcos said in another statement.

The PNP had dismissed rumors that a serial killer or a criminal group aboard white vans are behind the series of reported killings and disappearances.

The National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) met with the FCCCII members last week in response to their claims about widespread kidnapping cases of Filipino-Chinese residents in the region.

“Wala pong kidnapping na nangyayari. Kahit po sa ibang city wala po tayong ganyan mga kaso, hindi po ito totoo. Kung mayroon man po tayong natanggap na reklamo, lahat po ito ay naresolve na ng kapulisan (There is no kidnapping happening. Even in other cities, we don’t have such cases. This is not true. If we have received any complaints, all of them have been resolved by the police),” Brig. Gen. Jonnel Estomo, NCRPO chief, said in a statement on Friday.

Based on NCRPO data from January to August, four cases of kidnapping for ransom and six cases of illegal detention were reported in Metro Manila, all of which were solved and resulted in the rescue of the victims and the arrest of the suspects. (MNS)