Philippines logs over 2,000 COVID-19 cases for 4th straight day

Sunday, July 26th, 2020. Filed under: News Philippine News

MANILA, July 27 (Mabuhay) — The Philippine coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) tally jumped to 80,448 on Sunday after the Department of Health (DOH) announced 2,110 new cases, marking the fourth consecutive day over 2,000 new infections were reported.

The five provinces with the highest number of new cases were Metro Manila with 1,345, Cebu with 304, Laguna with 109, Negros Occidental with 66, and Rizal with 40.

Total recoveries also rose to 26,110 after 382 more patients recovered from the respiratory illness, while the death toll climbed to 1,932 with 39 new fatalities.

There are also 52,406 active cases undergoing treatment or quarantine, 89.83 percent of which are mild, 9.25 percent are asymptomatic, 0.49 percent are severe, and 0.42 percent are in critical condition.

The DOH said figures reported on Sunday were based on data submitted by 66 out of the 90 operational laboratories.

The department also removed 74 duplicate cases from the total tally of infections.

As of July 25, the Philippines had 70 certified polymerase chain reaction facilities and 23 GeneXpert laboratories that had tested a total of 1,232,957 individuals.

Meanwhile, 51.6 percent of intensive care unit beds for COVID-19 patients nationwide were occupied while 28.5 percent of mechanical ventilators were in use.

Malacañang earlier said that the modified enhanced community quarantine could be reimposed over Metro Manila if the country reaches 85,000 COVID-19 cases by the end of July.

Experts from the University of the Philippines previously projected that infections may soar past 85,000 by the end of the month.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported Sunday 36 new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) among Filipinos abroad.

According to DFA, with the new cases, the total number of COVID-19 cases among Filipinos abroad is now at 9,275.

Of this number, the DFA said 3,212 are undergoing treatment, 5,410 have recovered, or have been discharged, while 653 have died.

The DFA said the 36 new cases were recorded from Asia and the Pacific and from Europe.

“DFA reports that the total number of those who have recovered from COVID-19 is at 58% of the total confirmed cases since last week, while those who are under treatment and those who died due to the disease are now almost 35% and 7%, respectively,” the DFA said.

As per the different regions, 6,632 Filipinos in the Middle East and Africa have been infected by COVID-19; 1,090 are in Europe; 847 are in the Asia Pacific region, and 705 are in the Americas. (MNS)

ALSO READ: 2,200 new cases push Philippines’ COVID-19 tally to 74,390

Related posts

Christmas parties prohibited in Metro Manila, Philippines’ GCQ areasMetro Manila allows 18 to 65-year-olds to go out amid COVID-19 threatTravel agencies, tour operators now allowed in GCQ areasGov’t allows resumption of non-essential outbound travel of Filipinos18,065 new Covid-19 recoveries bring total to over 273KPH Covid-19 recoveries climb to 254,223; active cases now 54,294PH Covid-19 recoveries now 253K, active cases rise to 52,702MGCQ status for Metro Manila in November not impossible — PalaceCovid-19 cases drop due to ‘One Hospital, Oplan Kalinga’Easing NCR GCQ may lead to COVID-19 surge around Christmas, experts sayDILG chief to meet with Metro mayors on fate of GCQFDA yet to receive any application for phase 3 trial of COVID-19 vaccineIloilo placed under MECQ from Sept. 25-Oct. 9NCR is flattening COVID-19 curve –UP expertAreas with zero COVID-19 transmission should be classified under new normal — RoquePH Covid-19 case count up by 3,475; recoveries now over 230KPH Covid-19 cases rise by 3,311; recoveries now 229,865Palace says worst of Covid-19 is overPalace appeals to public: Give ‘staycations’ amid COVID-19 crisis a chancePH Covid-19 cases rise to 265,888; recoveries now 207,504