Philippines can rally ‘overwhelming majority’ vs China before UN — Carpio

Monday, September 28th, 2020. Filed under: Asian News News Philippine News

MANILA, Sept 28 (Mabuhay) — Manila can rally an “overwhelming majority” of allies against Beijing if it raises before the United Nations an arbitral ruling that invalidated China’s claims over the West Philippine Sea, retired Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonio Carpio said Monday.

President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration has refused to do so over fears that China can demand the support of countries to which it gave economic aid, he said.

However, the Philippines has the backing of the US, UK and Australia which gave “much, much more than what China has given to other countries.”

“Once we get the support of these other countries, the big powers, I think we will get an overwhelming majority in the General Assembly,” he said.

Duterte previously shelved the 2016 arbitral award as he pursued loans and investments from Beijing. However, the President last week told the UN General Assembly that the Philippines “firmly rejects” any attempt to undermine the ruling.

The UN is the “locus” and “moral force” of world opinion, Carpio said, adding that smaller countries previously won against more powerful counterparts before the UN, as in the case of Nicaragua against the US, Mauritius against the UK, and the Netherlands against Russia.

“This will happen to China if we play it right… The other countries are just waiting for us to move,” he said.

“China needs the world to survive. It needs to export, import…It wants to be a leader in the world. But how can you be a leader if you do not follow international law?”

The entire foreign affairs department, including all Philippine ambassadors, will have to campaign to get the votes against China, which has no veto power in the UN General Assembly. The campaign may take 2 to 3 years, he said.

In the meantime, the Philippines can “fortify” the ruling by citing it and filing for an “extended continental shelf claim” facing the South China Sea, the same way that Vietnam and Malaysia did, said Carpio.

“We don’t need the consent of any state, we don’t need the consent of China to file that. That affirms that we have an exclusive economic zone in the West Philippine Sea,” he said.

The Philippines can also enter into a convention with Vietnam and Malaysia, and invite the US, France, Britain, Australia and Japan, Carpio suggested.

The convention should affirm the ruling by stating that in the Spratly Islands, “there is only territorial seas and beyond those seas will be the Exclusive Economic Zone” of the Philippines, that will uphold freedom of navigation and flight, he said. (MNS)

ALSO READ: Duterte invokes arbitral ruling vs. China in first UN speech

Related posts

Duterte invokes arbitral ruling vs. China in first UN speechJustice Parpio tells Washington audience: Nine-dash line claim threatens rule of lawPHL suspends work on South China Sea military airstrip PH still asserting sovereign rights vs China — PaneloDuterte: PHL adheres to international law in sea rowDFA hopes for tribunal’s favorable decision on South China Sea disputeBilateral talks with China over sea row ‘necessary’ – incoming DFA chief YasayUS defense chief jabs at Beijing in S. China Sea visitPHL argues environmental, fishing claims vs ChinaAmid growing China tensions, Aquino to seek stronger security ties with Japan in state visitPNoy to meet Abe in Japan amid countries’ territorial rows with ChinaAquino wants to keep tensions low in West PHL SeaDFA’s Del Rosario grilled over PHL-US defense agreementAquino to seek Europe’s help in China sea dispute PHL, Indonesia sign ‘model’ maritime border accord US, PHL marines hold drills on flashpoint South China Sea Aquino back from two-day state visit to Malaysia, cites gainsU.S. backs ASEAN on Code of Conduct and reaffirms support for PHL arbitration movePHL pushes sea row at Asia-Europe summit AFP chief Gapay says situation in South China Sea remains volatile, uncertain