PH can’t test all Typhoon Rolly evacuees for COVID, but precautions in place — DOH

Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020. Filed under: News Philippine News

MANILA, Nov 3 (Mabuhay) — The Philippines will not be able to test all Typhoon Rolly evacuees, but there are other ways to curb the spread of COVID-19 in temporary shelters, the Department of Health said Monday.

“Isa yung pagte-test for evacuation sites. It is the ideal. Ideally, kung meron tayong ganung resources at masasagawa, we can do that,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a virtual briefing.

However, Vergeire said it is “not really recommended at this point.”

“So what we have recommended is for the symptoms screening and the assignment of safety officers in this kind of evacuation areas,” she said.

Hundreds of thousands of people were evacuated as Typhoon Rolly (international name: GONI), the Philippines’ 18th and the world’s strongest so far this year, swept the country, particularly south of the main island Luzon, over the weekend.

The calamity struck even as the Philippines continues to battle the COVID-19 pandemic, which originated from China late last year. As of Sunday, the country has 27,115 active coronavirus infections, accounting for 7 percent of the 383,113 cumulative total.

According to the latest government report, over 4.53 million individuals have been tested in the country for the infectious disease, and the country’s accredited testing laboratories have increased to 140.

Vergeire explained that evacuees who show symptoms will be moved to another facility.

“So ang pinakaimportante na ipinapatupad natin ngayon (So the most important thing to implement right now) would be yung (the) safety officers to regularly monitor all of these people inside these evacuation area,” she said. “Para kung sinuman ang magkakaroon ng sintomas ay matatanggal agad, ang we can prevent transmission.”

Asked about modular tents placed near each other, Vergeire said it is okay as long as the tents are enclosed and the partitioners help curb transmission.

However, she also advised evacuees to try and get fresh air since it is unhealthy to stay in a small, enclosed space for the whole day.

Before Typhoon Rolly hit, the Department of Health said it transferred 324 patients and staff from temporary treatment and monitoring facilities (TTMFs) at risk of being damaged.

The agency also prepositioned P31,201,887.31 worth of drugs, medicines, medical supplies, health kits, as well as personal protective equipment and other COVID-19 supplies in various Centers for Health Development.

Another P21,679,638.59 worth of supplies were also stocked in the DOH central office warehouse.

DOH’s Director Gloria Balboa said none of the TTMFs in NCR were damaged, but they have yet to hear from Region 5, which was badly hit by the typhoon. (MNS)

READ NEXT: UN, EU, Canada ready to assist PH after ‘Rolly’ onslaught

Related posts

UK allots P63-M aid for typhoon victims in PH, VietnamEU commits €150M new grants to Philippines — DOFDuterte invokes arbitral ruling vs. China in first UN speechVP Robredo: 200,000 jobs at stake if EU pushes trade sanctions vs PH over human rights issuesWorld already reaping benefits from ozone treaty: studyInt’l aid pours in for communities affected by Typhoon RubyUS, PHL marines hold drills on flashpoint South China Sea Red Cross still waiting for gov’t nod on use of saliva test4 more storms could hit Philippines by year-end —  PAGASASwab tests still free for OFWs — Palace4K OFWs stranded due to PhilHealth issue with PRC — BelloPhilHealth won’t pay Red Cross unless MOA issues settled — GierranPhilippines can rally ‘overwhelming majority’ vs China before UN — CarpioDuterte to address UN for the first time since taking officeEU Parliament wants to strike down Philippines’ zero-tariff export statusPH industrialization possible under Paris Accord — senatorDuterte has prerogative not to honor climate change pact: DrilonArbitration court to rule on South China Sea case on July 12UNICEF warns of growing abuse risk for refugee, migrant children arriving in EuropeBilateral talks with China over sea row ‘necessary’ – incoming DFA chief Yasay