Palace won’t accept PH has more COVID-19 cases than Indonesia, highest in ASEAN

Friday, August 7th, 2020. Filed under: Asian News News Philippine News

MANILA, Aug 7 (Mabuhay) — Malacañang on Friday refused to accept that the Philippines has overtaken Indonesia in the number of coronavirus infections, claiming that the numbers are a result of Manila’s more aggressive testing than Jakarta.

The Philippines’ COVID-19 tally of 119,460 cases as of Thursday topped Indonesia’s 118,753, making it the Southeast Asian nation with the highest number of infections despite imposing one of the longest lockdowns in the world.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the numbers were a product of the Philippines’ supposed “aggresive” testing as he noted that Indonesia has only reached a third of Manila’s testing output so far.

“Dahil mas maigting ang ating pagte-test, hindi po totoo na mas maraming kaso tayo kaysa Indonesia,” Roque said during a Palace press briefing.

“Hindi lang nalalaman ng mga Indonesian kung sino-sino yung mga umiikot na mayroong sakit. At least tayo po, alam na natin kung sino na po sila,” he added.

But Indonesia, which has more than twice the population of the Philippines, has 37,587 active COVID-19 cases – still fewer than the latter’s 50,473 active infections.

Philippines climbs to having most COVID-19 cases in Southeast Asia as tally nears 120,000

Pressed on his basis for claiming that it was wrong to say that the Philippines has more cases than Indonesia, Roque responded: “Hindi ko po alam how to answer that, basta ang malinaw lang po sa akin ang Indonesia, with more or less the same cases as us, has 1/3 of the actual testing we have conducted on our people.”

“Hindi naman talaga totoo at conclusive na mas marami na tayong kaso dito sa Pilipinas compared to Indonesia. Mas marami lang tayong kaso na nalalaman na dito sa Pilipinas dahil nga po three times ang ating testing more compared to the testing done by Indonesia,” he added.

Earlier, the Department of Health called for caution in comparing the Philippines’ coronavirus tally with other countries, saying the Duterte government was “continuously strengthening our efforts” to manage the cases.

“We have to be very cautious when we try to compare our numbers with other countries,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said Friday.

The Philippines reverted Metro Manila and nearby economic hubs to a stricter lockdown until Aug. 18 as it recalibrated its pandemic response following the plea of exhausted health workers for a “time out.”

Cases had surged when the quarantine level was eased in June. (MNS)

ALSO READ: August 10 start of Avigan trials in Philippines not yet final, DOH clarifies

Related posts

Christmas parties prohibited in Metro Manila, Philippines’ GCQ areasMetro Manila allows 18 to 65-year-olds to go out amid COVID-19 threatTravel agencies, tour operators now allowed in GCQ areasGov’t allows resumption of non-essential outbound travel of Filipinos18,065 new Covid-19 recoveries bring total to over 273KPH Covid-19 recoveries climb to 254,223; active cases now 54,294PH Covid-19 recoveries now 253K, active cases rise to 52,702MGCQ status for Metro Manila in November not impossible — PalaceCovid-19 cases drop due to ‘One Hospital, Oplan Kalinga’Easing NCR GCQ may lead to COVID-19 surge around Christmas, experts sayDILG chief to meet with Metro mayors on fate of GCQFDA yet to receive any application for phase 3 trial of COVID-19 vaccineIloilo placed under MECQ from Sept. 25-Oct. 9NCR is flattening COVID-19 curve –UP expertAreas with zero COVID-19 transmission should be classified under new normal — RoquePH Covid-19 case count up by 3,475; recoveries now over 230KPH Covid-19 cases rise by 3,311; recoveries now 229,865Palace says worst of Covid-19 is overPalace appeals to public: Give ‘staycations’ amid COVID-19 crisis a chancePH Covid-19 cases rise to 265,888; recoveries now 207,504