By Christopher Lloyd Caliwan

WANTED. The wanted poster of fugitive Kingdom of Jesus Christ leader Apollo Quiboloy. Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said in a press briefing in Camp Crame, Quezon City on Monday (July 8, 2024) that a PHP10 million reward is up for anyone who can give information leading to Quiboloy’s arrest. (PNA photo by Lloyd Caliwan)

MANILA – Private citizens have pooled a PHP10-million reward for anyone who can give information that will lead to the arrest of fugitive religious leader Apollo Quiboloy, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Benjamin Abalos Jr. said on Monday.

Quiboloy is wanted for sexual abuse and human trafficking.

His co-accused, Crisente, Paulene and Ingrid Canada, Sylvia Cemañes, and Jackielyn Roy each have a PHP1 million bounty.

“Ayaw ipasabi ‘yung pangalan nila but you know, eto po nangyari rito, kaya meron kaming mga kaibigan na (They don’t want to to be identified but you know, this is what happened) they are so frustrated about what’s happening right now at gusto makatulong kaya nagbigay ng reward ng (and they want to help so they gave a reward of) PHP10 million,” Abalos said in a press briefing in Camp Crame, Quezon City, referring to the donors who wish to remain anonymous.

Abalos urged Quiboloy anew to surrender and prove his innocence before the courts.

“Sa nangyayaring ito parang tinatapakan ang sistema ng pamahalaan, parang niyuyurakan. Magse-serve ka ng warrant, parang ikaw pa ang masama. Simple lang, ang batas ay batas, ang may kasalanan mananagot at ‘yan ang gagawin namin (It seems that the government’s system is being undermined. Those who are serving the warrant are put in a bad light. It’s simple, the law is the law and those who are guilty must be held accountable and that is what will we do),” Abalos said.

Citing intelligence information, Abalos said the Kingdom of Jesus Christ (KOJC) leader is still in the country.

Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Rommel Marbil said those coddling Quiboloy may face charges of obstruction of justice under Presidential Decree (PD) 1829, which punishes acts “knowingly and willfully committed with the intention to obstruct, impede, frustrate or delay the administration of justice.”

He confirmed they are looking into the possible liability of former president Rodrigo Duterte who previously said he knows where Quiboloy is hiding.

“Any statement na nagsasabi kung asan ‘yung tao ay talagang pinag-aaralan namin kung talagang papasok doon sa (saying the whereabouts of a wanted person, we are studying whether it would fall under) PD 1829 and we are just waiting for witnesses so the PNP can file a case,” Marbil said.

Duterte is the appointed administrator of properties belonging to KOJC.

Quiboloy has standing arrest warrants for child and sexual abuse issued by the Davao City Regional Trial Court and human trafficking issued by a Pasig City court. The cases are non-bailable.

On June 10, police officers, including the elite Special Action Force troops, visited five properties in Davao province belonging to Quiboloy in a bid to serve his arrest warrant.

They failed to find him and his co-accused.

Supporters of Quiboloy gathered outside the properties to prevent the police from entering the compounds.

Six KOJC members who allegedly attacked the police were charged for obstruction of justice.

The KOJC claimed PNP’s procedure in arresting the fugitive preacher was unlawful and unconstitutional. (PNA)