By Priam Nepomuceno

QUAKE DAMAGE. The roof of an open multipurpose court in Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur collapses following the magnitude 7.4 earthquake on Dec. 2, 2023. The NDRRMC on Tuesday night (Dec. 5) said a total of 132,615 families have so far been affected by the magnitude 7.4 earthquake on Dec. 2 and the magnitude 6.8 earthquake on Dec. 4 that rocked Surigao del Sur and nearby provinces. (File photo courtesy of Hinatuan LGU)

MANILA – A total of 132,615 families have so far been affected by the series of strong earthquakes that recently rocked the province of Surigao del Sur and nearby provinces.

In its update Tuesday night, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said this is equivalent to 528,203 residents in 311 barangays in Northern Mindanao, Davao region and Caraga.

The Office of Civil Defense earlier said the affected families include those displaced and those not needing to be evacuated.

Still undergoing verification are reports of three dead and 48 injured.

The deaths being verified include two from Caraga and one from Davao region.

Damaged houses were placed at 3,887 in Northern Mindanao, Davao region and Caraga.

Meanwhile, infrastructure damage was estimated at PHP4.8 million in Davao region and Caraga.

Late on Saturday night, a magnitude 7.4 earthquake struck Surigao del Sur with its epicenter recorded east of Hinatuan town.

Early Monday, a magnitude 6.8 earthquake struck north northeast of Cagwait, Surigao del Sur. (PNA)