MANILA, July 20 (Mabuhay) — Metro Manila mayors urged the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases to suspend, in the capital region, the policy allowing children five years old and above to go outside amid the threat of the highly contagious COVID-19 Delta variant.
“Kami po ay nagbotohan kanina at hinihiling po sana namin sa IATF na baka maaari na ‘yong polisiya na ‘yong 5 years old pataas ay masuspinde muna sa Metro Manila dahil mayroon kaming kaso [ng Delta variant] rito,” Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Benhur Abalos said in a briefing with President Rodrigo Duterte.
Abalos added that children are not yet eligible for COVID-19 vaccination, making them possible super spreaders.
The Philippines has so far detected 35 Delta variant cases, 11 of which are local. Two of the 11 local cases were in Metro Manila.
Abalos, however, said Metro Manila mayors are ready for the Delta variant.
Earlier, the OCTA Research team urged the government to reimpose the bubble policy over Metro Manila, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal, or NCR Plus, as well as restrictions on children due to the Delta variant.
The government previously allowed children aged five and above to go outdoors in areas under general community quarantine and modified GCQ.
The Philippines has so far recorded 1,513,396 cases of COVID-19 including 1,439,049 recoveries and 26,786 deaths. (MNS)