By Benjamin Pulta

National Bureau of Investigation Director Angelito Magno (left) presents two kidnap-for-ransom suspects during a press conference at the NBI headquarters in Pasay City on Monday (Feb. 16, 2026). The two Chinese nationals were arrested during an entrapment in Quezon City on Feb. 11, the victim a female Chinese. (PNA photo by Yancy Lim)

MANILA – Two Chinese nationals were arrested and their victim, also Chinese, was rescued in an entrapment operation in Quezon City, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Monday.

In a news release, the NBI said the victim’s boyfriend reported her missing on Feb. 10, and that her captors contacted him and demanded PHP500,000 for her release.

Before the NBI learned of the incident, the kidnappers had allegedly forced the victim to transfer PHP832,000 through online transactions.

To pressure the boyfriend, the suspects allowed the victim to make a video call via social media, showing visible bruises and threatening further harm if their demands were not met.

The NBI International Operations Division conducted the operation at a hotel Thursday last week, resulting in the arrest of the suspects and the rescue of the victim.

The unnamed respondents were presented for inquest proceedings for kidnapping and serious illegal detention in relation to Republic Act 10175, or the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012. (PNA)