Metro Manila returning to MECQ not a ‘foregone conclusion’ –Palace

Wednesday, July 29th, 2020. Filed under: News Philippine News

MANILA, July 29 (Mabuhay) — It remains to be seen whether Metro Manila will return to modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) next month, Malacañang said Tuesday.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said the possibility that the government will reimpose a stricter lockdown in the capital region was not a “foregone conclusion” since the case doubling time improved to 8.9 days.

Roque, however, said the government will also have to consider the critical care capacity before making a decision. Metro Manila has been under general community quarantine since June 1.

“Tingnan po natin kung ano ang magiging desisyon, pero hindi po forgone conclusion na babalik tayo sa MECQ, dahil ang case doubling rate naman po ay hindi lumala, bumuti lang ng bahagya,” he said at a televised briefing.

The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases was scheduled to meet on Tuesday to discuss the fate of community quarantines after July 31. Its decision is subject to the final approval of President Rodrigo Duterte.

Experts from the University of the Philippines earlier projected that COVID-19 cases in the country would soar past 85,000 by July 31, which Roque previously said may prompt Metro Manila’s return to MECQ.

On Tuesday, the Philippines reported 83,673 cases, with 1,947 deaths and 26,617 recoveries.

Metro Manila accounted for 45,969 cases, including 30,851 active cases and 1,000 deaths.  (MNS)

ALSO READ: No reason to celebrate, UP’s Covid-19 forecast happened –Palace

Related posts

Doctor urges 2-week NCR ECQ as ‘breather’ for exhausted frontlinersDOH supports call of medical groups for proper quarantine enforcementMetro Manila should be placed under ECQ anew, Sotto and Lacson agreePhilippines logs 3,954 new COVID-19 cases, 38k recoveriesDuterte places Cebu City, keeps NCR under GCQPhilippines’ COVID-19 tally tops 85,000 with 1,874 new casesFight vs. Covid-19 still ‘successful’ — Palace1,392 new cases bring Philippines’ COVID-19 tally to 58,850Duterte ‘unlikely’ to call for special session of Congress to pass Bayanihan 2 — PalaceDuque claims Philippines has flattened COVID-19 curve then takes it backDOH fails to report daily tally of COVID-19 cases on Sunday, cites ‘significant volume of data’Covid-19 cases exceed 50K; recoveries now 12.5KPhilippine COVID-19 tally tops 44,000 with record-high 2,434 new casesDuterte should acknowledge shortcomings in COVID-19 efforts in SONA 2020 — IBONDuterte to undergo COVID-19 swab test on Sunday — Nograles2,200 new cases push Philippines’ COVID-19 tally to 74,390Ex-DOH chief says gov’t should be open to criticism over pandemicNCR still under GCQ; Cebu City eases to MECQPalace says PH winning fight vs. Covid-19, disputes WHO reportPhilippines logs record-high 6,352 new COVID-19 cases, total up to 112,593