Duterte ‘unlikely’ to call for special session of Congress to pass Bayanihan 2 — Palace

Thursday, July 16th, 2020. Filed under: News Philippine News

MANILA, July 16 (Mabuhay) — President Rodrigo Duterte will not likely call for a special session of Congress to pass the bill on the country’s COVID-19 recovery program, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Duterte’s spokesperson Harry Roque said the proposed measure will be deliberated after Congress resumes session on July 27.

“I don’t think we will be calling for [a] special session because Congress will be reopening in a matter of two weeks anyway. So, it will be discussed already in the second regular session of the 18th Congress,” Roque said in an interview with ANC.

Roque had previously said that the Executive branch will ask the Senate and House of Representatives to convene in a special session after the details of the stimulus package have been ironed out.

The Palace said the government could only afford a stimulus package worth P140 billion, which is similar to the Senate’s proposal.

Congress adjourned session last month without passing the bill seeking to extend the validity of the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act, which gave Duterte special powers for three months to effectively tackle the COVID-19 crisis.

The law expired on June 25. (MNS)

ALSO READ: 1,392 new cases bring Philippines’ COVID-19 tally to 58,850

Related posts

Doctor urges 2-week NCR ECQ as ‘breather’ for exhausted frontlinersDOH supports call of medical groups for proper quarantine enforcementMetro Manila should be placed under ECQ anew, Sotto and Lacson agreePhilippines logs 3,954 new COVID-19 cases, 38k recoveriesDuterte places Cebu City, keeps NCR under GCQPhilippines’ COVID-19 tally tops 85,000 with 1,874 new casesMetro Manila returning to MECQ not a ‘foregone conclusion’ –PalaceFight vs. Covid-19 still ‘successful’ — Palace1,392 new cases bring Philippines’ COVID-19 tally to 58,850Duque claims Philippines has flattened COVID-19 curve then takes it backDOH fails to report daily tally of COVID-19 cases on Sunday, cites ‘significant volume of data’Covid-19 cases exceed 50K; recoveries now 12.5KPhilippine COVID-19 tally tops 44,000 with record-high 2,434 new casesDuterte retains GCQ for NCR; Iligan under MECQDuterte should acknowledge shortcomings in COVID-19 efforts in SONA 2020 — IBONDuterte to undergo COVID-19 swab test on Sunday — Nograles2,200 new cases push Philippines’ COVID-19 tally to 74,390Ex-DOH chief says gov’t should be open to criticism over pandemicNCR still under GCQ; Cebu City eases to MECQPalace says PH winning fight vs. Covid-19, disputes WHO report