MANILA, Apr 19 (Mabuhay) –The Philippines will resume the use of AstraZeneca’s coronavirus vaccine on people younger than 60 after it was given the green light by experts, the Department of Health (DOH) said Monday.
Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said the DOH will craft updated guidelines on the use of the AstraZeneca jab following reports of rare blood clots on some recipients abroad.
“[On] the whole, bottomline nito ay tayo ay maglalabas ng isang guideline para sa paggamit ng AstraZeneca to include these different precautions na binigay ng Food and Drug Administration (FDA),” Vergeire said in an online briefing.
Last week, FDA chief Eric Domingo recommended that the Philippines continue to use the AstraZeneca vaccine after experts “unanimously” agreed that its “benefit outweighs risk.”
This came after the Philippines temporarily suspended the use of the jab on people younger than 60 as a precautionary measure amid reports of blood clots with low platelet count overseas.
“Kailangan natin balikan din na napakaliit lang na porsyento ng populasyon na naapektuhan ng mga ganitong klaseng adverse events for AstraZeneca,” Vergeire said.
The DOH said no such adverse events have been reported in the Philippines.
The European Medicines Agency earlier explained that the risk of blood clotting is “very rare” after it examined 86 cases out of some 25 million people in Europe who got the AstraZeneca vaccine.
The Philippines has administered 1.4 million doses of the AstraZeneca and Sinovac vaccines as of April 17. (MNS)