By Ruth Abbey Gita-Carlos

MANILA – President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Thursday met with boxing icon and former senator Manny Pacquiao at Malacañan Palace following the latter’s comeback bout against WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios.
Marcos and Pacquiao engaged in a light conversation about the recent fight, which ended in a majority draw in Las Vegas last month.
“Do you want to see how fast I am? Let me show you how fast I am. Come on,” Marcos playfully said, as he interacted with Pacquiao, eliciting laughter from those present.
Pacquiao, boxing’s only eight-division world champion, had not fought professionally since 2021.
His recent comeback match brought renewed attention to his remarkable career on the global stage.
Pacquiao presented his WBC belt and gloves as a gift to Marcos.
“Nandito tayo para mag-present sa kanya ng ating WBC belt saka ‘yung gloves na regalo din natin sa kanya (We were here to present to him our WBC belt and the gloves, which we also gave as a gift),” he said after the courtesy call.
Pacquiao requested Marcos’ support in celebrating the 50th anniversary of the “Thrilla in Manila,” the historic boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier III at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.
The “Thrilla in Manila,” held on Oct. 1, 1975, is widely regarded as one of the greatest boxing matches in history and a defining moment in Philippine sports history.
Pacquiao said the celebration is scheduled for Oct. 29 as a remembrance and celebration of the historic boxing match.
“Natuwa naman si Presidente and all-out support naman siya (The President was very happy and he gave his all-out support),” Pacquiao said, adding that Marcos is “very interested” in participating in the upcoming celebration. (PNA)