39 dead, 22 missing due to Typhoon Ulysses — military

Friday, November 13th, 2020. Filed under: News Philippine News

MANILA, Nov 13 (Mabuhay) — The military has recorded 39 fatalities as a result of Typhoon Ulysses, which brought strong winds and heavy rain on Wednesday night that reminded many Luzon residents of 2009’s Tropical Storm Ondoy.

In a press briefing on Friday that saw Cabinet officials giving different figures as far as the number of casualties was concerned, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said only 14 fatalities were “LGU-verified.”

“Kaya lang po nagkakaiba-iba ang casualty figures dahil subject ito to local government confirmation,” he said.

Armed Forces chief General Gilbert Gapay said the 39 cadavers were recovered by the government’s search, rescue, and retrieval (SRR) cluster, although Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año said they would still have to verify this.

“Yung reported recovery of cadavers, we still have to verify kasi baka yung iba diyan hindi naman typhoon-related [ang ikinamatay],” Año said in the same briefing.

Año said so far the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has verified 14 fatalities from Ulysses.

Gapay said of the 39 bodies,  eight were retrieved by the Armed Forces of the Philippines in Bicol, Calabarzon and Zambales. The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), meanwhile, retrieved  three in Dasmarinas, Cavite, one in Bicol, and one in Ifugao, Benguet.

Included in the 39 were the 26 bodies retrieved by the Philippine National Police from six regions, including Metro Manila.

A total of 40 were injured and 22 are still missing, based on the records of the SRR cluster.

Año, meanwhile, said over 38,500 had been rescued.

Ulysses, the eighth to hit the Philippines in the past two months and 21st of the year, forced residents to scramble onto rooftops to await rescue after tens of thousands of homes were submerged.

Ulysses struck areas still reeling from Super Typhoon Rolly (Goni), the most powerful typhoon in the world this year, which killed 25 people and destroyed thousands of homes earlier this month. (MNS)

READ NEXT: Rolly, Ulysses destroyed over P5.6B in DepEd facilities, materials — Briones

Related posts

Rolly, Ulysses destroyed over P5.6B in DepEd facilities, materials — BrionesDSWD sends augmentation support to ‘Ulysses’-affected areas4 more storms could hit Philippines by year-end —  PAGASADuterte places entire Luzon under state of calamityPAGASA to use old list of cyclone names for 2014Duterte blames ‘squatters’ for deforestationCagayan placed under state of calamity as Ulysses’ floods kill 9Marikina to sue Angat Dam for floods higher than what Ondoy causedMore areas under Storm Signal No. 3 as Nona hits SorsogonRecto: 86.2% cut in PAGASA’s budget if Aquino won’t sign modernization billPAGASA: Lando may bring 24 hours of heavy rainRuby now only a storm but heavy rains still expected in NCR, nearby provincesPAGASA: Lunar eclipse on Oct. 8; meteor shower later this month3 cyclones to hit PHL in October