2014 unemployment rate is PHL’s lowest in a decade: Aquino

Tuesday, July 28th, 2015. Filed under: Philippine News
President Benigno S. Aquino III is received by Ayala Corporation chairman and chief executive officer Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala upon arrival for the inauguration of the Daang-Hari-South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) Link Road Project / Muntinlupa-Cavite Expressway at the MCX Toll Plaza in Barangay Poblacion, Muntinlupa City on Friday (July 24). The MCX is Ayala Corporation’s first toll road project under the Aquino administration’s Public-Private Partnership Program. (MNS photo)

President Benigno S. Aquino III is received by Ayala Corporation chairman and chief executive officer Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala upon arrival for the inauguration of the Daang-Hari-South Luzon Expressway (SLEX) Link Road Project / Muntinlupa-Cavite Expressway at the MCX Toll Plaza in Barangay Poblacion, Muntinlupa City on Friday (July 24). The MCX is Ayala Corporation’s first toll road project under the Aquino administration’s Public-Private Partnership Program. (MNS photo)

MANILA (Mabuhay) – The Philippines had its lowest unemployment rate in the past decade at 6.8 percent last year, President Benigno Aquino III said Monday in his sixth and last State of the Nation Address (SONA).

Aquino said his administration has generated jobs for Filipinos locally, resulting in a decrease of overseas workers from 9.51 million in 2011 to 9.07 million last year.

“Permanenteng trabaho ang nalikha natin, hindi nag-hire ng mga magwawalis sa kalsada tuwing survey period,” he said.

Aquino also said OFWs can now stay in the country and find opportunities in the Philippines instead of searching for greener pastures abroad.

“Noon, makikita sa mga signage ‘No Vacancy,’ ngayon, ‘For Immediate Hiring’ na,” he said.

He also praised the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) for the minimal labor strikes in his five years in office.

A total of 15 strikes were held from 2010 to 2015, compared to the 199 strikes during the Arroyo administration, Aquino said.

In addition, only one strike has been held this year so far, the lowest in the history of DOLE, according to the President.

Aquino credited Labor Secretary Rosalina Baldoz for the gains in the labor sector, calling her “Pastora ng Gabinete.” (MNS)

Related posts

OFW advocacy group lauds Duterte’s vow to fight human trafficking, illegal recruitmentLP solon wants ethics probe vs Makabayan bloc membersAquino vows additional equipment for AFPAquino vows additional equipment for AFPDrilon: PNoy’s ‘chosen one’ known days after SONAPNoy asks 16th Congress to pass 2014 budget, key economic billsPH industrialization possible under Paris Accord — senatorDuterte bids for bank secrecy law relaxationIncoming Duterte admin eyes infra spending at 6% of GDPDrilon admits failure in basic services overshadowed development under AquinoTV anchor, one more leftist, 2 ex-army, Duterte’s aide join CabinetLabor groups ask SC’s help to standardize wages in PHL regardless of locationPalace: Poll proves Filipinos cherish democracyLBC, BOC collaborate to ensure speedy balikbayan box deliveriesAquino: Fast forward or return to a dismal past?ALA Int’l, ABS-CBN Sports and TFC to showcase world-class boxingPNoy to keep pushing for Bangsamoro law as raps readied vs MILF menAquino on presidency: ‘This job really ages you’PH, Thailand eye agreements on education, battle vs drugsAquino’s decision to stop balikbayan box inspections not politically motivated: Palace