1,987 new Covid-19 cases, recoveries now over 159K

Friday, September 4th, 2020. Filed under: News Philippine News

MANILA, Sept 4 (Mabuhay) — The Department of Health (DOH) on Thursday reported 1,987 new coronavirus disease (Covid-19) infections, raising the overall tally to 228,403 with only 64,207 active cases.

The DOH said the additional cases reported were based on the total Covid-19 tests done by 91 out of 113 operational laboratories.

It reported that of the active cases, about 90.8 percent are mild, 6.7 percent are asymptomatic, 1.0 percent severe, and 1.4 percent critical.

The majority of the newly announced cases were from the National Capital Region (NCR) with 818 cases, Cavite with 153 cases, Laguna with 125 cases, Negros Occidental with 122 cases, and Rizal with 78 cases.

“Of the 1,987 reported cases today, 1,627 or 82 percent occurred within the recent 14 days (August 21-September 3, 2020) and the top regions with cases in the recent two weeks were NCR with 657 or 40 percent, Region 4-A (Calabarzon) with 347 or 21 percent and Region 6 (Western Visayas) with 151 or 9 percent,” the DOH said in its daily case bulletin.

The DOH also reported 880 new recoveries and 65 deaths, bringing the total number of recoveries to 159,475 and the number of deaths to 3,688.

“Of the 65 deaths, two occurred in September which is 3 percent, 55 in August which is 85 percent, six in July which is 9 percent, one in June which is 2 percent and one in April which is 2 percent and the deaths were from NCR with 35 or 54 percent, Region 4-A (Calabarzon) with nine or 14 percent, Region 8 (Eastern Visayas) with six or 9 percent, Region 10 (Northern Mindanao) with three or 5 percent, Caraga Administrative Region with three or 5 percent, Region 1 (Ilocos Region) with two or 3 percent, Region 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula) with two or 3 percent, Region 12 (Soccsksargen) with two or 3 percent, Region 3 (Central Luzon) with one or 2 percent, Region 6 (Western Visayas) with one or 2 percent, and Region 7 (Central Visayas) with one or 2 percent,” the DOH said.

It added that some 24 duplicates that were removed from the total case count and of these, 12 recovered cases have been removed.

“Moreover, there were three cases that were previously reported as recovered but after final validation, they were deaths,” the DOH said.

As of Wednesday, the 86 licensed reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) laboratories and 28 licensed GeneXpert laboratories have conducted a total of 2,536,297 tests nationwide.

The DOH said it has a 20,500 total bed capacity dedicated to Covid-19 patients.

About 50 percent of 1,700 intensive care unit beds are in use; 45 percent of 13,400 isolation beds; and 49 percent of 5,400 ward beds.

About 28 percent of 2,200 ventilators are in use. 

Meanwhile, the number of Filipinos abroad who have contracted COVID-19 climbed to 10,097 on Thursday, with 1 new additional case recorded, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said.

Only 3,120, however, are currently being treated for the disease as 6,220 of those infected have recovered, and 757 have died.

The DFA reported 43 new recoveries, mostly from Europe. There is also no new fatality reported as of Thursday.

Those undergoing treatment for COVID-19 are broken down as follows by region: 351 in the Asia Pacific, 268 in Europe, 2,335 in the Middle East and Africa, and 166 in the Americas. (MNS)

ALSO READ: 2,218 new Covid-19 cases, recoveries now over 158K — DOH

Related posts

LEACHON: PRIORITIZE NCR, CALABARZON, CENTRAL LUZON IN GIVING COVID-19 VACCINESuccess of antigen pilot test seen to boost Philippine tourism amid COVID-19IATF allows minors, senior tourists in MGCQ areasRed Cross still waiting for gov’t nod on use of saliva testPH Covid-19 recoveries now 374,666Philippine COVID-19 cases top 407,000 as new recoveries hit 11,290PH logs over 11K Covid-19 recoveries on SundayPH logs over 11K Covid-19 recoveries on SundayPhilippines logs 987 new COVID-19 cases, total at 388,137No changes in quarantine classifications for November –PalaceBI lifts antigen test for outbound Filipinos; more foreigners allowed entryPH Covid-19 recoveries climb to 311,506Christmas parties prohibited in Metro Manila, Philippines’ GCQ areasMetro Manila allows 18 to 65-year-olds to go out amid COVID-19 threatTravel agencies, tour operators now allowed in GCQ areasGov’t allows resumption of non-essential outbound travel of Filipinos18,065 new Covid-19 recoveries bring total to over 273KPH Covid-19 recoveries climb to 254,223; active cases now 54,294PH Covid-19 recoveries now 253K, active cases rise to 52,702MGCQ status for Metro Manila in November not impossible — Palace